The UMassFive Difference
Being a non-profit financial co-operative means UMassFive operates as an association of people coming together for a common purpose. Members pool deposits then loan those deposits to other members. The seven co-operative principles guide all that we do and helps define our culture and promise to you, the member.
What This Means For You
• By having an account at UMassFive you are a member-owner of the Credit Union.
• You have one share of the Credit Union which allows you to vote for our volunteer board of directors.
• As a member in good standing, you are allowed to run for the volunteer board of directors.
• All the profits of the Credit Union are returned to you, the member in the form of higher dividends, lower loan rates and fees, and improved services.
The Co-operative Principles
• Voluntary and Open Membership
• Democratic Member Control
• Member Economic Participation
• Autonomy and Independence
• Training and Information
• Co-operation among co-operatives
• Concern for community
Our Investment Strategy
UMassFive only invests in options that are either 100% guaranteed by the United States Government or implied 100% guaranteed by the United States Government. These include:
- NCUA or FDIC Insured Credit Union or Bank Certificate of Deposit
- Government Sponsored Enterprise (GSE) of the United States Government: Federal National Mortgage Association (FNMA); Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (Freddie Mac); Government National Mortgage Association (GNMA)
- Small Business Administration (SBA) and United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) guaranteed loans. UMassFive occasionally buys a portion of these types of loans that are 100% guaranteed by the United States Government.
Our aim is safety and soundness so we do not put member deposits at risk. UMassFive has never invested in: Fossil Fuel Funding Bonds; Pipeline Companies; Energy Companies; Gambling Industry; Corporate Bonds; Municipal Bonds, Mutual Funds of any kind.
For questions or assistance, contact a friendly UMassFive representative today!